This past month I made a solid black hat for a kid who likes Emo (for a definition of Emo check out this link on Wikipedia: Emo).
Anyone who works with yarn knows the hardship of using black, right? lol Despite the headaches and poor eyesight that resulted from making this hat, it still turned out pretty good, I think. This is my 5 year old daughter modeling it for me.
It was made for an 11 year old girl, who is now 12.
I used my own pattern, just slightly altered to fit a smaller head. The orginal pattern is my Slouchy Hat Pattern . I used a 4.5 mm circular needle for the ribbing and changed to a 5 mm circular for the main body of the hat, and I omitted the increasing rounds. I cast on 88 stitches, worked K3, P1 ribbing for 2 inches, and when I changed to the larger needle I worked in stockinette stitch until the hat measured 9 inches from the cast on edge. Then I began decreasing by 8 stitches on every round until there were only 8 stitches left. Then I weaved the yarn tail through the stitches and pulled it closed. The yarn I used was Caron Simply Soft (I love the sheen and softness of this yarn 🙂 )